March 19, 2005

Who Am I?

Sometimes this is a profound philosophical question, but not today. I only mean to introduce myself. I'm Talia Beruriah. Taking a page from Naomi Chana over at Baraita, I'm using my real Hebrew name. Some people know my only by this name, but most of you know me by one of many other names or nicknames.

I prefer to keep my more common name to myself. This is not only a matter of safety, although it is that, but it keeps my real life better separated from my work life. The folks with whom I work and, more important, the organization for which I work aren't very comfortable with diversity. I'm odd enough there without disclosing more about me thereby only increasing their discomfort. And I do need to support myself, so I have no interest in putting my employment in jeopardy.

I live within 15 miles of where I was born, even though I am and always was an urban child. A native of Washington D.C., I live in the Maryland suburbs, not terribly far from the city in which I work. I have entirely too many interests to keep up. Some will emerge as I chat.

You are welcome to comment on anything and everything, ask questions, or bring up new subjects in the comments section. I only ask that you be open-minded and respectful of others. Posts that are not respectful will be deleted without comment.

3 Comments:

At March 20, 2005 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your Hebrew name, it's beautiful.

I'll try not to get confused since now I have five names for you (including 'Sir').

w.

 
At March 20, 2005 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you. Maybe someday I'll tell my name's story.

Hey, anonymous, do you know that you can put your "w" name in the blogger comments? Just click the 'other' box and put whatever you want in the name box.

 
At March 20, 2005 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well whaddya know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home