April 11, 2005

Thank You LadyBird.

I think I write this same post every spring. The city - Washington, DC - is beautiful. It is about 65 degrees (farenheit - we aren't civilized here in the U.S. I could look up the conversion but so could you.) with a cloudless unpoluted blue sky. Cherry and apple blossom trees are blooming everywhere. My favorite are the weeping cherries.

I work six blocks from the Capitol so I am near the monument section of the city every day. Most of the year I whinge and whine about the commute, but at this time of year I am grateful that I am pushed into the center of the city. You see, we not only have those famous cherry blossom trees but there are clean white buildings and a low skyline -- by law no building is higher than the Capitol.

Oh yes. LadyBird. Lyndon Johnson's wife, for you young'uns. When she lived in the White House she made it her business to plant bulbs everywhere in the city. Tiny squares and large expanses of green are covered with daffodils and tulips. It is truly lovely.

Maybe I'll be back when the azaleas are in bloom.

1 Comments:

At April 14, 2005 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think of Ladybird each spring as well. She was responsible for the beautiful wildflowers that grow along the Texas Hwys. The entire state is painted in flowers this time of year.
Such a wonderful gift.
E.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home