May 15, 2005

Interviewed by Blue

The game:

1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I will respond by asking you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog (if you have one) with the answers to the questions OR you answer them here in the comments if you don't have a blog.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.


====================

The most redundant institution of modern times?

There are too many to choose from, especially when I begin to think of religious ones. But I'll select the one that is annoying me the most currently. Television "news." You know, that news that isn't news, runaway bride news, Scott Peterson Michael Jackson news that keeps so many anxious about things that have nothing to do with their lives and mask things that are important like war and starvation and fascism.

The best-ever one-liner?

You probably thought that this was easy. Well it is for most folks, but for me? Killer hard. I don't remember jokes. When I hear one I like, I immediately pass it on knowing that I'll have forgotten it in 20 minutes. So please be patient. And kind. Ok, Ihe best I can do, probably reflecting my mood, is George Carlins "If you can beat 'em, have 'em beaten."

Everyone deserves one chance to try again. How would you do it differently next time?

I am tempted to cheat and say I would select different parents, but I am much too honest for my own good.
I'd grow up and learn to take care of myself before hooking up with somebody else. I spent much too much of my life trying to satisfy other folks before I genuinely learned that take care of yourself first thing.

What absolutely MUST be included in the curriculum?

Logic. Reason. Thinking. But first we must have teachers who can teach it, and that is not a trivial problem.
I want to take this time to point out that I just restrained myself thereby saving all of you from a three page rant.

You get to do this with anyone from recorded history. Who, and what five questions?

Ack! Blue, these are killer hard. I only get one, eh?
Ok, the late Barbara Jordan, toward the end of her life.
1. You seem to have spent much of your life in study, always excelling in school. What do you feel that you gave up to be such a good student?
2. What made you believe that you could run for public office, much less win when no black woman had ever held so many of the offices you held.
3. No matter what happened, you seem to have maintained an unerring faith in our instutituions. What do you think is the source of that faith?
4. You were very ill for a long time. What kept you going?
5. What makes you blissfully happy?

====================

Don't forget that if you want to be interviewed, leave a request in the comment section.

25 Comments:

At May 15, 2005 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting thoughts on what must be included in the curriculum. last week, in my "manifesto" class, i had the students look at civil rights era "manifestos." they were assigned "letter from birmingham jail" as well as several black panther statements. i wanted them to pay close attention to issues of rhetoric and performance.

and i wanted to spend some time looking at precisely how king puts together his argument in "letter" -- you know, the ol' Pathos, Ethos, Logos routine?

one of my (white republican upper middle class) students commented, "you know, dr. king sure does point the finger at white people." wow, eh?

it's a shame that college is the first place where we (sorta) encourage thinking. it's difficult to undo 18+ years of uncritical unthinking -- for teachers and students.

 
At May 15, 2005 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree that college is the first place we encourage thinking if we do there. I believe that critical thinking should occur before first grade and what is received there should be remedial :) Of course I think that kids only need to learn four things: Thinking, reading, number theory (in the general sense), and curiosity. Social interaction if I need a fifth. Then with some guidance and independent study they could spend their school time actually learning and developing ideas.

 
At May 15, 2005 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes but to test "thinking" and "curiosity" you'd need something other than multiple choice questions on an annual scantron exam -- which is, after all, how we can ensure that "no child is left behind."

 
At May 15, 2005 9:32 PM, Blogger gothmog said...

Ahem. Some teachers try to encourage critical thinking before college. Just sayin.

And. I have Never. Ever. Used a Scantron.

 
At May 15, 2005 9:57 PM, Blogger gothmog said...

I absolutely agree, however, that the majority of teachers currently in the profession are ill equipped for the task.

 
At May 15, 2005 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aren't you mandated by The Government to use a scantron?

and i do stand corrected. (should i stand in the corner?) some teachers do indeed encourage critical thinking before college. and some college profs have their heads so far up their academic arses that they couldn't know critical thinking either.

 
At May 16, 2005 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Wheezus. I will. Give me a bit to think of less than totally boring questions.

 
At May 16, 2005 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, Wheezus. Here are your questions.

1. What do you fear the most?

2. You may trade places with anyone alive or dead (not fictional) for 24 hours -- no more and no less. You only get one chance. Who would it be?

3. Write an autobiography in 25 words or less.

4. What question would you like me to ask you? Why?

5. Lick something. What did it feel like.

 
At May 19, 2005 12:11 PM, Blogger Pam said...

I'd grow up and learn to take care of myself before hooking up with somebody else. I spent much too much of my life trying to satisfy other folks before I genuinely learned that take care of yourself first thing.

This is so wise, and so true. Learning that it's ok to say "no" is so liberating.

 
At May 20, 2005 11:37 AM, Blogger Dweeze said...

I'll take some. (I always forget about this place, and hadn't seen any questions on your other place, and didn't start looking until your mention on Landru's place.)

 
At May 20, 2005 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, sorry about the forgetting. The other place is too well known as political. It just didn't want to shift gears.

Here you go:

1. Who is the best living playwright?

2. You will lose one of your senses, but you may select the one you will do without. Which one is it and, of course, why that one?

3. Underwear has suddenly disappeared from the universe. How are you affected?

4. Why does the Iowa caucus matter? (For all you voyeurs, this is a conversation I wish I could spend 6 hours having with the weasel. Feel free to move along.)

5. Outside of your family, who most influenced the parts of you that you like?

 
At May 20, 2005 4:23 PM, Blogger Dweeze said...

Good questions. If I don't get them up today, I'll have them on Monday.

 
At May 21, 2005 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll give you some tomorrow, Sally.

 
At May 22, 2005 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sally questions - they're all softballs :) :

1. Give yourself a new name. What is it? Why?

2. You are in The Wizard of Oz. What role are you playing?

3. What do the better angels of your nature look like?

4. If your favorite beverage were a different color, what color would it be?

5. Write a haiku about what is outside your window.

 
At May 22, 2005 9:16 AM, Blogger Kimmah said...

I want some questions, por favor. Lightweight ones, of course.

 
At May 22, 2005 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, I'll try but you know I don't do lightweight so well. I might miss :)

I'll be back with 'em later.

 
At May 22, 2005 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kimmah, these are so soft that I am embarassed. You have to tell us which blog you will answer them on.

1. How would your life be different if you were blonde?

2. You have been granted a one hour interview with Will Shakespeare, in his home. What do you want to ask him?

3. Chickens are the stupidest creatures on earth, but you manage to love them anyway. How?

4. What was the Final Straw that drove you away from Republican?

5. (Biggest softball question ever-->) You will be reincarnated as the webmaster at an unknown Off Topic discussion board. Who will you whack first and why? You may use a pseudonym of you choose.

 
At May 22, 2005 1:02 PM, Blogger Kimmah said...

I will answer them on the miscellaneous ramblings blog. Yay!!!

 
At May 23, 2005 10:12 AM, Blogger Badger said...

i'm feeling brave this morning. please may i have some questions?

 
At May 23, 2005 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Badger, here goes. Heh, you didn't ask for softballs.

1. Is your nom de plume a noun or a verb? How would you look differently if it were the other?

2. Barefoot or Botox?

3. If your son were made of music, what music would he be?

4. Is it possible to be an anarchist without being a corporatist?

5. Where do you keep you species being?

 
At May 24, 2005 6:37 PM, Blogger Badger said...

ok-dokey, the answers are on my blog.

 
At May 27, 2005 3:00 AM, Blogger Supes said...

I would also like some questions if you don't mind.

Oh! And a smooch.

 
At May 27, 2005 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, questions later today. But you know I don't do smooches. I only do long languid kisses that while away an afternoon.

 
At May 27, 2005 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Questions for Chris. I hope you have fun with them.

1. What do you have against Batman? The Green Hornet?

2. What is that song that you secretly love, but don't want anybody to know about?

3. Invent a game to play with your kids and tell us about it. You all must have fun.

4. Commando?

5. Give me a TTL about the color green.

 
At May 27, 2005 9:17 PM, Blogger Supes said...

Thank you, dear.

You DO know, it's afternoon somewhere. Pucker up, baby.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home