July 04, 2005

My Personal Independence Day

Four years ago today I quit smoking. I had been smoking since I was 13 years old, longer if you consider the fact that my mother smoked throughout her pregnancy with me and throughout my childhood.

It was the single most difficult thing I ever did. I think this is because it require(s) constant vigilance, no slip ups, not even a puff. For me there are absolutely no cigarettes or all the cigarettes in the world. I can't do this a little bit. It took me three years to be convinced that I had actually mastered it, that I was going to stay quit. That was last year.

This year, for one day only, I'm patting myself on the back. Yay me!

9 Comments:

At July 04, 2005 3:04 PM, Blogger Kimmah said...

Congrats!!!!!!!!

 
At July 05, 2005 1:05 AM, Blogger Jolene said...

That's awesome. Yay you! :)

 
At July 05, 2005 11:14 AM, Blogger Blue said...

Yes, yes, yes..all very noble, I'm sure.
But what about MY residual guilt?

 
At July 05, 2005 12:31 PM, Blogger ilse said...

Conga rats on four years!

 
At July 05, 2005 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Congrats on 4 years! I've quit 3 different times for over a year each time - I admire you for being able to stick with it and make it permanent.

 
At July 06, 2005 7:51 AM, Blogger Landru said...

Yes, but what about my suffering while you were quitting? No one seems to have anything to say about that. Hmph.

I must say, these days you're a lot better about not choking the life out of me when I light up within six miles of you.

Well done, uhm...whatever I'm supposed to call you here.

 
At July 06, 2005 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Mr. Landru, you know while I did have dinner in the non-smoking section for a while that was temporary. And I adore the smell of smoke.

Choke you? Never. You Are My Sunshine :)

And the rest of you nice people? Thank you.

 
At July 13, 2005 12:03 AM, Blogger Pam said...

Huge accomplishment. Congrats! I'm still struggling with it. Hopefully, the third time will stick. I envy you.

 
At July 14, 2005 2:26 PM, Blogger gothmog said...

Yeah, yeah. Let's see you give up something hard, like OPI.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home